Hello Garfield High School families,
First, I’d like to thank you for welcoming me back to the Garfield Community. Four generations of my family graduated from the Dog House and I am proud to be a part of the team to lead the school this year.
For all of you who are new to Garfield, welcome! You are following in the footsteps of proud Bulldog world changers and innovators. We will support you as you build your legacy.
For those returning, welcome back! You are the leaders who will help us as we continue to build a community wherein all are valued.
We hope that you all were able to take some time to enjoy this summer while navigating many of the challenges of the twin pandemics of COVID 19 and the effects of racial injustice. As we enter this school year, we remain committed to maintaining and growing a strong and connected Garfield community. Our staff looks forward to welcoming back students remotely when our school year begins this Friday, September 4.
Here are some important school related issues that you will want to be aware of as we begin this school year:
- The first five days of classes will be based focused on our district wide initiative Strong Start, with an emphasis on social emotional learning, relationship building, preparing students for remote learning, and awareness of school norms and expectations.
- The Labor Day Holiday is Monday, September 7 and there will be no classes that day.
- Student schedules will be released on The Source on Thursday September 3.
- The remote learning “Bell” schedule will also be posted on our website September 3.
- New student orientation will occur via Zoom on September 9th.
- Garfield Laptop distribution: If your student did not receive a SPS issued laptop please consider picking one up. Our next date and times for laptop pick up will be announced this week.
- Plans to pick up student course books and materials are being developed and will be announced soon on the website. More information and updates will follow this week.
We look forward to meeting and working with you all. Have a great school year.
The Garfield Admin Team
Princess Shareef, Principal