Hello Bulldog families,
This is a reminder that letters are going out in mid-December to families whose student’s immunization record is not complete as the law requires.
Complete means that the student is:
- fully vaccinated;
- in the process of getting vaccinated;
- has a lab report that shows immunity to the disease and does not need the vaccine; or
- has a signed Certificate of Exemption for a medical, religious, religious membership or personal reason signed by you and a health care provider (doctor, nurse practitioner or other provider as shown on the form). As of July 28, 2019, you cannot use a personal exemption for the measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine.
Students who do not have one of the above will be excluded from school on January 8, 2020. This means that your child might not be allowed to attend school.
If your child needs immunizations, there are many options:
- schedule an appointment with their primary care provider;
- schedule an appointment at the Garfield Teen Health Center – all services are free;
- visit a pharmacy; many offer childhood vaccines and bill insurance (call ahead to confirm); or
- attend a free vaccination clinic open to all SPS students 18 years old or younger at Aki Kurose Middle School on Friday, December 27 or Monday, December 30, 10 am – 3 pm. A parent or guardian must accompany their student unless the student is 18. No proof of insurance or citizenship is required. These clinics are hosted by Kaiser Permanente but your child does not need to be a patient of theirs to be vaccinated.
Regardless of where your child is vaccinated, ask for an updated copy of their official record.
You can also look up your child’s record by creating an account at MyIR.net.
Have questions? Please contact Nurse Rebecca as soon as possible, 206-252-2277 or email@example.com. Or, stop by the Garfield Teen Health Center (Room 102) during school hours.
Thank you for helping to keep our school community healthy and safe!