Although the idea of GHS originated with a School Board vote in 2017, and temporary buildings opened in 1920, the current red-brick edifice first served students in September 1923. Let’s all wish this venerable building a Happy Centennial! [Article continues below photo.]
Historylink.org tells it this way:
“The new James A. Garfield High School opened in September 1923 with over 1,000 students. The three-story structure was designed in the Jacobean style with elaborate terra cotta details. The main (north) entrance features a projecting bay with triple arched doorways….
A bond issue passed in March 1929 provided funds for an addition to the building. The south wing included laboratories and classrooms for 680 more students. Enrollment continued to grow until 1939, when it reached an all-time high of 2,300 students.”
A Historylink.org article that was last updated in 2002 has more about the history of Garfield!