The January PTSA meeting took place last night via Zoom. Thank you to the community members in attendance.
- Principal Shareef relayed that a second Town Hall-style meeting is being planned for Jan 26th with topics the Seattle Promise program and Financial Aid.
- Principal Shareef expects information this week from the School Board outlining the selection process for a new principal hire at Garfield. Garfield families will have an opportunity to give input.
- The recent Holiday Giving Drive raised ~$2500 for Garfield families in need.
- The Annual Fund has raised ~$85K of the $130K goal to date, with participation down by half compared to previous year. In a campaign push promoting the Annual Fund we will highlight PTSA-supported projects.
- Planning is underway for a teacher appreciation event tentatively in late January.
- Recent PTSA awards include $1400 to the Math Department for software that generates and tracks interactive math assignments, and $6900 to support student enrollment in a minority-centered Edmonds Community College math course designed by a Garfield teacher.
- Following the resignation of last year’s Gala co-Chairs, the PTSA seeks volunteers for an auction committee to work with the PTSA President on planning a virtual event later this spring.
Other topics of discussion included Graduation and Grad Night. There remains too much uncertainty with the ongoing pandemic to make firm commitments re Grad Night planning, but with COVID vaccinations already underway some version of Grad Night is a possibility. The District has established June 15th as Garfield’s graduation date.
Kayla Epting, President, had outlined the following PTSA goals for this Fall at the initial September meeting:
- Partnering with the administration to better communication with all families at Garfield
- Expanding capacity in funding and resources to our families in need
- Diversifying the PTSA membership
Interested in attending future meetings? The next PTSA meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 9th at 6:30PM. Garfield Community PTSA meetings are typically held on the second Tuesday of each month, except for April when the meeting is held the week before Spring Break. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings will be held virtually for the foreseeable future. Garfield community members are welcome at all Board meetings but are especially encouraged to attend General Meetings.
PTSA meeting dates are posted online here and are subject to change: https://garfieldptsa.org/ptsa-meeting-dates