The December PTSA meeting took place last night via Zoom. Thank you to the community members in attendance.
- Principal Shareef was unable to attend as she was meeting with the Town Hall planning group. The first Town Hall is scheduled for Thursday, Dec 17, at 6:30PM.
- The Annual Fund and the Holiday Giving Drives are underway. Participation at this point is lower than in years past and we will increase the publicity for these initiatives before year’s end.
- The PTSA will help fund the purchase of new math software for teachers and students with a three year license, as reported by BLT representative Sara Dickerman.
- Community Outreach Chair Theophania Cielos has been working with the school Counselors and Teen Health Center staff to distribute aid to students in need.
- Events Chair Daniella D’Louhy has been exploring ideas for Teacher Appreciation while the building is closed. Students and families are encouraged to sign the group card by December 16th.
- In coming weeks the PTSA leads will work in small groups to update role descriptions and to review chapter compliance with local, state and national PTSA rules & regulations.
Other topics of discussion included the annual spring auction and Grad Night events. There is still too much uncertainty surrounding the pandemic to make firm commitments.
Kayla Epting, President, had outlined the following PTSA goals for this Fall at the initial September meeting:
- Partnering with the administration to better communication with all families at Garfield
- Expanding capacity in funding and resources to our families in need
- Diversifying the PTSA membership
Interested in attending future meetings? The next PTSA meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 12th at 6:30PM. Garfield Community PTSA meetings are typically held on the second Tuesday of each month, except for April when the meeting is held the week before Spring Break. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings will be held virtually for the foreseeable future. Garfield community members are welcome at all Board meetings but are especially encouraged to attend General Meetings.
PTSA meeting dates are posted online here and are subject to change: https://garfieldptsa.org/ptsa-meeting-dates