The June PTSA meeting, the last regular meeting of the 2020-21 school year, took place last night via Zoom. Thank you to Principal Shareef and the community members in attendance.
- Principal Shareef gave updates on the last week of school schedule, graduation and various summer programs. Principal Shareef’s participation and coordination with the PTSA this past year has been most appreciated. The PTSA thanks Principal Shareef for stepping in this past year and wishes her well!
- Theo Cielos reported on Grad Night planning. Currently there are 134 seniors registered. We urgently need at least 11 more volunteers to chaperone the party as the District is not allowing faculty & staff to chaperone this year. Parent volunteers are usually recruited from 11th grade parents.
- The Board confirmed a Nominating Committee of three PTSA members – Colleen Ottoson, Cliff Meyer and Noël Hudson – to develop a slate of Board Officer candidates that will be presented to the Membership for a vote after 15 days. Calls for PTSA volunteers have been put out in the eBark and in direct emails.
- The Annual Fund has raised $118,288 of the $130,000 goal.
- In the past month PTSA funds were approved to support video editing software for the Activities & Athletic Director, college essay writing software for the College & Career Center, books for a new Psychology course, and an online curriculum for Special Education students.
- Outgoing treasurer Steve Orser presented a budget for SY2021-22. Acknowledging that the budget will need alignment with Dr Hart once he arrives, the budget was approved. The new co-Treasurer, Mary Murray, was present during the meeting.
Kayla Epting, President, had outlined the following PTSA goals for the 2020-21 school year at the initial September meeting:
- Partnering with the administration to better communication with all families at Garfield
- Expanding capacity in funding and resources to our families in need
- Diversifying the PTSA membership
Interested in attending future meetings? Garfield Community PTSA meetings are typically held on the second Tuesday of each month, except for April when the meeting is held the week before Spring Break. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings will be held virtually for the foreseeable future. Garfield community members are welcome at all Board meetings but are especially encouraged to attend General Meetings.
Once confirmed, PTSA meeting dates for the 2021-22 school year will be posted online here and are subject to change: https://garfieldptsa.org/ptsa-meeting-dates