The first PTSA meeting of the year took place last night via Zoom. A big thank you to Principal Shareef for attending and fielding parent questions, and to the many community members in attendance.
A major topic of discussion was improving communications. Principal Shareef recognizes this as a concern and is working with staff and parents to determine how best to reach as many families as possible. Some important points that she shared:
- Starting Friday, the school will implement a Daily Bulletin.
- The Main Office will have a staff member available to take calls every day from 9am – 1pm.
- The Counseling Secretary is taking calls from home and checking messages every day.
- The Attendance Secretary cannot receive school calls from home at this point, so please continue to email Attendance Office communications.
Other topics of discussion included asynchronous learning times and expectations; troubleshooting of technology issues; support for students and families during the pandemic; PTSA budget and Annual Fund launch; planning considerations for spring events such as Grad Night; and filling open PTSA positions.
Kayla Epting, President, outlined the following PTSA goals for the Fall:
- Partnering with the administration to better communication with all families at Garfield
- Expanding capacity in funding and resources to our families in need
- Diversifying the PTSA membership
Interested in attending future meetings? The next PTSA meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 13th at 6:30PM. Garfield Community PTSA meetings are typically held on the second Tuesday of each month, except for April when the meeting is held the week before Spring Break. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings will be held virtually for the foreseeable future. Garfield community members are welcome at all Board meetings but are especially encouraged to attend General Meetings.
PTSA meeting dates are posted online here and are subject to change: https://garfieldptsa.org/ptsa-meeting-dates