At the September 20 PTSA Board meeting, Principal Tarance Hart discussed the possibility of returning to a single-lunch schedule, confirmed that PTSA funding will enable the school to hire a part-time volunteer/communications coordinator, and provided other school updates.
The 35 attendees also heard about the draft 2022-23 budget and brainstormed ideas for upcoming General Meetings. Board leadership positions and other volunteer opportunities are still available!
Dr. Hart noted:
- The District required Garfield to switch to two lunch periods (except on Wednesdays) in part because of crowding in The Commons and newly expanded fresh food options that were expected to lengthen service lines. Some students are saying that they no longer can socialize with some friends and that club participation is harder (because meetings now must be scheduled before or after school, or on Wednesday). Dr. Hart said that the District has assured Garfield that a single universal lunch period may be justified by these factors if lunch-line waits are short enough.
- Garfield has strengthened its explanation to students of behavioral and other expectations, and Dr. Hart said the year has begun smoothly compared to last September, when the District first resumed full-day school. Earlier this month teachers presented highlights of Garfield’s revised Student Handbook and the SPS Student Rights and Responsibilities document. Garfield on Sept. 15 emailed parents and caregivers links to these documents and the presentation slides.
- Garfield is emphasizing high quality instruction and also joyful experiences! Dr. Hart promised that the school will be scheduling more fun activities, such as dances.
- That PTSA support is much appreciated, and that PTSA funds are helping make possible the upcoming hire of a person to help coordinate volunteer opportunities and also increase school-to-family communication.
- Assistant Principals have specific student and instructional/operational responsibilities:
- Ida Acton – Students (last names of A-G); Language Arts, English Language Learners, Special Education
- Regina Carr – Students (H-N); Fine Arts, World Languages, Sciences
- Gregory Barnes – Students (O-Z); Math and Social Studies
This list is not fully inclusive. Some other staff roles are listed in the Student Handbook.
- Curriculum Night will be in October, date and other details still TBD.
In other business:
- The PTSA Co-Treasurer, Mary Murray, presented an overview of the 2022-23 budget, which is in final draft form, and will be submitted for full membership approval in November. More information on the PTSA budget will be available in the coming weeks.
- The PTSA is planning grade-level events for parents and caregivers to start next month. Two representatives from each grade work on these, and welcome help from others! To volunteer, contact email@example.com.
- Attendees brainstormed about PTSA General Meetings, which often feature guest speakers on special topics. Interest was expressed in a “college admissions and guidance” event and a speaker on “teens and sleep.”