Welcome to the new school year! Our staff has been busy this summer working on some major district initiatives, and there are several opportunities to learn about district work and share feedback with district staff during the next few weeks. We know this is a busy time of year for families, so below is an overview of upcoming community meetings to help with your planning.
Superintendent Juneau’s Listening and Learning Tour. Through mid-October, Seattle Public Schools Superintendent Denise Juneau is leading a comprehensive Listening and Learning Tour to gather an understanding of the district’s strengths, challenges, and what is most important for her to consider as plans are developed for the district’s future. All meetings will be hosted or co-hosted with community partners. Programming will be the same at all Regional Town Hall meetings.
- Tues., Sept. 11, 5:00-6:30 p.m.: Seattle Broadview Library
- Mon., Sept. 24, 5:30-7:00 p.m.: North Seattle College
- Tues., Sept. 25, 6:00-8:00 p.m.: Southeast location to be confirmed
- Tues., Oct. 2, 6:30-8:00 p.m.: Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center (Student focus group 5:30-6:10 p.m.)
- Thurs., Oct. 4, 7:00-8:30 p.m.: Ballard High School
- Weds., Oct. 10, 7:00-8:30 p.m.: Youngstown Cultural Center (Student focus group 6:00-6:40 p.m.)
- Mon., Oct. 15, 7:00-8:30 p.m.: Roosevelt High School
Language specific meetings (i.e. Spanish) will be hosted by community partners and families will be invited directly to participate. For additional information, visit the Listening and Learning Tour page. New meetings will be added as details are finalized.
In addition to in-person meetings, the Listening and Learning tour will include an online opportunity to provide feedback. Look for more information the week of September 17.
Community Meetings for 2019 Levies. Seattle Public Schools is hosting community meetings in September to share information about our upcoming Operations Levy and our Building Excellence V (BEX V) Capital Levy, both to be submitted to Seattle voters in February 2019. District staff will present information, ask for input, and respond to questions.
All meetings: 6:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Wed., Sept. 12: Ingraham High School Auditorium
- Thurs., Sept. 13: West Seattle High School
- Thurs., Sept. 20: Mercer Middle School
- Mon., Sept. 24: Roosevelt High School
- Tues., Sept. 25: Meany Middle School
More information is available on the Community Meetings for 2019 Levies page.
Naviance Information Sessions. The College and Career Readiness team will hold regional information meetings to give parents and community members an opportunity to talk directly with staff about the benefits of Naviance, the district’s college and career planning tool. The program will include: the plan for implementing this tool, the steps we are taking to protect student data, and the opportunity for families to opt out of this tool if interested. Naviance is available for students in grades 8-12.
All meetings: 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.
- Mon., Sept. 10: Garfield High School
- Wed., Sept. 12: Roosevelt High School
- Thurs., Sept 13: Ingraham High School
More information is available on the Naviance page.
Curriculum Adoption Committees
Science Curriculum Adoption. Applications are being accepted for the curriculum adoption committee to select 9-12 grade science instructional materials. This committee would meet October through March. More information, including timelines and application instructions are on the Science Adoption Committee page.
Spanish Curriculum Adoption. Applications are being accepted for the 6-12 grade Spanish curriculum adoption committee. This committee would meet September through April. More information, including timelines and application instructions are on the Spanish Adoption page. Applications are due by Friday, Sept. 14 @ 9 a.m.
We look forward to supporting you, your student, and your family this year. These engagement meetings and opportunities and more can always be found on the District Calendar or on the Committees and Task Forces page.
Communications and Engagement Department