The Seattle Public Schools Student Advisory Board is formed of student representatives from each district high school. The advisory board will provide student voice, advice, and perspectives to Superintendent Juneau and will meet with the superintendent throughout the school year. The goal will be to help ensure all students graduate from Seattle Public Schools ready for college, career, and community.
The Student Advisory Board (SAB) will explore a wide range of issues framed around Ensuring Educational and Racial Equity (Policy 0030), including welcoming school environments and equitable access for every student to a high-quality curriculum and support. Read about Policy 0030.
Student Nomination and Selection Process
- School staff, community members, and family members can nominate a student
- A student can also nominate themselves or another high school student
- Students must complete an application after being nominated
- Students of color, LGQBTIA students, ELL, undocumented students, homeless/unhoused, foster students, students with disabilities are encouraged to apply and be nominated
Student Advisory Board Member Selection: Once the nomination window for the school year has closed, an Executive Director of Schools, a member of the Strategy and Partnership team, a member of the Communications team, a community based organization leader, and Special Assistant to Superintendent will review nominations and applications and make recommendations to the superintendent.
The SAB will consist of at least one student from each of the 16 high schools. The students will be in grades 9th through 11th and be representative of the diversity of Seattle Public Schools.
Terms: Half of the group will rotate off at the end of the first year. After year 1, students will serve for 2 years w/ half of the group leaving at the end of each year.
- Attend all scheduled meetings
- Assist in reviewing materials
- Contribute to the group’s work
- Speak your truth
The SAB will meet in Dec, Feb, and June. Once meetings dates and locations are determined, they will be posted to this webpage and to the district calendar.
Questions? Contact Sherri Kokx, Special Assistant to the Superintendent,
Nomination and Application Forms