Vaping and Excessive Phone Use
On April 18, Principal Tarance Hart emailed families a statement about vaping on campus and excessive phone usage during instructional time:
“As a school community, we desperately need the support of families in addressing these challenges with their students.”
- In response to this escalating problem, any student found in possession of a vape device or who is seen vaping by school staff will be assigned to support groups during Wednesday lunch and office hours.
- Each support group session, led by Counselor Daniel Lee, will last 30 minutes.
- Students who receive their first referral for a phone or vaping offense will be assigned two of the support group sessions.
- Subsequent offenses will follow the more traditional disciplinary process, escalating to detention or Saturday school.
- Support groups will emphasize the health risks of certain behaviors, as well as how to develop coping skills and replacement behaviors.