The February PTSA meeting took place last night via Zoom. Thank you to Principal Shareef and the community members in attendance.
- Athletics have resumed. The first season will run from Feb 22-Apr 17 and the second season Apr 19-Jun 12. No cases of COVID transmission during Garfield sports practices have been reported. (Wrestling and Basketball are not approved to resume.)
- Principal Shareef addressed a local news story highlighting a sharp increase in failing grades at Garfield. The article cited figures from early December, mid-semester, that were shared internally. By end of 1st Semester, a total of 37 D and Incomplete grades were reported, a figure on par with other local high schools.
- The process for hiring a new principal is underway with the District having released a parent survey and selection committees being formed. The anticipated timeline is for an offer to be extended by April.
- To date the Annual Fund has raised ~$105K of the $130K goal, with 194 donors.
- The spring auction is being postponed until April. We could still use additional volunteers and ideas.
Other topics of discussion included a teacher appreciation event now moved to March and the Grad Night celebration, which Theo reports is moving forward in coordination with Mr. Zimmermann. Additionally, a sub-committee of PTSA Board members has been working on the PTSA by-laws and roles.
Kayla Epting, President, had outlined the following PTSA goals for the 2020-21 school year at the initial September meeting:
- Partnering with the administration to better communication with all families at Garfield
- Expanding capacity in funding and resources to our families in need
- Diversifying the PTSA membership
Interested in attending future meetings? The next PTSA meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 9th at 6:30PM. Garfield Community PTSA meetings are typically held on the second Tuesday of each month, except for April when the meeting is held the week before Spring Break. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings will be held virtually for the foreseeable future. Garfield community members are welcome at all Board meetings but are especially encouraged to attend General Meetings.
PTSA meeting dates are posted online here and are subject to change: https://garfieldptsa.org/ptsa-meeting-dates