Running Start allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll in college courses tuition-free and earn dual high school and college credit while finishing their high school diploma. If you are planning to enroll in Running Start for the 2023-2024 school year, please make sure to complete the steps below:
- Go to the Running Start website for the college you wish to attend (North Seattle College, Central Seattle College, or South Seattle College) and get started by completing the online application.
- Take the English Self-Directed Placement test (required) and Math Placement test (optional).
- Make an appointment with your Garfield counselor to complete the Enrollment Verification Form together. There are four documents you should bring with you to this appointment with your counselor (or email these documents to your counselor in advance):
- Running Start Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed by a parent or guardian.
- Completed Running Start Course plan worksheet. You will review this year-long or two-year long course plan with your counselor at the appointment. Running start is a commitment for the entire school year and your Garfield schedule cannot be adjusted.
- Enrollment Verification Form with the top section already filled out.
- Free and Reduced Lunch Eligibility Letter (if you are requesting fee waivers).
- Schedule an appointment with a Running Start advisor who will help you register for classes.
- Pay class fees. There is no tuition cost for Running Start students, but there may be other fees associated with the classes you choose. Your enrollment is not complete until these fees are paid.